Brady Dyer Photography is on the lookout for a keen photographer, wanting to get some work experience in the photography industry, and the business side of this ever saturating market.
This is a unpaid 4 month position, with potential for part-time paid employment afterwards.
Brady Dyer is one of Wellington’s leading photographers, in a range of genres from weddings & family shoots, to corporate headshots, commercial, and fashion editorials. Brady has been taking photos commercially since 2005, and has completed a Bachelor of Commerce & Business Administration at Vic Uni. If like Brady you enjoy every day being different, this is a great position for you. You will be invited to come along with Brady to photo shoots, where he will teach you things as he does it. You will also be taking behind the scenes photos, which will be updated on this very blog – in the behind the scenes area. Brady is looking to train up a photographer, who can then be booked by clients when he is already booked on another job.
It is expected you will already have quite an understanding of photography, although plenty of training and teaching will be done at the start. Progressive teaching throughout the time will also be given. There will be a number of paid projects & events around June/July where you will be expected to attend by yourself – as Brady is expecting his first child in June ’14. If you already have an interest in photography, even some basic photography education, and are wanting to eventually take your photography to the next level – then this would be a great opportunity to be trained up by Brady, and if good enough become part of his team in the future.
Skills you will learn:
- Camera Skills
- Post-Production Skills (Aperture & Photoshop – from sorting/culling through to editing and exporting)
- Supplying digital images to clients
- Website skills & blog creation
- Personal skills when working with clients in front of the camera
- Ordering prints, canvases and other products for clients
- Marketing skills – social media, advertising etc
Things you will already need:
- A basic DSLR camera – preference with Canon to use existing lenses and strobes (Although for any serious jobs, a Canon 5Dmk3 will be provided)
- Basic computer skills
- A personality – this is one of the most important things
- Willingness to learn new things
What’s needed during the 4 months:
- A couple of days a week at Brady’s Petone studio – either working on images with Brady, or taking photos with him. (We can schedule in days that suit both each week)
- Any specific events (usually weekends) to attend either shadowing Brady, as a second shooter, or behind the scenes photos of Brady.
- Once Brady is confident with your skill and personal skills, there will be a few events in June/July that you may need to photograph yourself (birthdays, corporate functions etc) – these may be paid on a per-case-basis.
If this sounds like something you are interested in. Please contact me.
Please feel free to include your experience, what equipment you have, and why you think you’d make a great candidate.